Thursday, September 11, 2008

Now we play the waiting game...

Well, It seems that Hurricane Ike is heading straight for us. We felt fortunate to have missed Hurricane Gustav but alas here we are again. Justin only worked half day today so he could come home and clear the yard. We took down the trampoline and patio furniture. I cleaned out the garage this morning just in time for the garbage men to come...this in it self is something I look forward to. I seem to wander the house on garbage days and pick up as much stuff as I can and haul it out to the curb. This is especially fascinating to me because I watch the garbage men and if you have stuff that looks good they will go through it. Today I had a few things and I saw them out there riffling through and the guy saw me watching...he waved me to come outside and was asking if a certain item was in working order??? I told him is was broken but if he was handy that he may be able to fix it. Then he said that the cab of the truck was already full and could he leave it for a little while until they could empty the truck and they would be back in the area. I said sure and after running some errands it was gone. I find this fascinating. I bet they get some good stuff. I must admit that I find myself looking at the garbage stuff as I drive by houses. I am a sucker for free stuff. So back to IKE. We are prepared, I think. I bought some easy food, stuff that doesn't require cooking and of course some munchies. I thought we would have a Hurricane party with the kids tomorrow night. Movie, treats and sleeping all together in the family room. I imagine that my children will not be able to sleep through the wind and rain and will be up most of the night. So now we hope and pray that we will be safe and that no major damage will happen to our area.

I was 12 when Hurricane Alicia came through Houston. I remember sitting in the front room of our house and having the door open some of the time while the eye of the storm went over our house. It was an strange calmness. But I can remember the feeling well. I also remember riding in the back of my dads pickup truck and driving through the overflow to the Braes Bayou and the water coming up over the top of the truck (Dad ruined the truck doing that). I also remember going down about 6 block from our house where the bayou had overflown and swimming in the water with the rest of the neighborhood kids. The water was up to our chests. I can't imagine letting my kids go 6 blocks alone more less swim in snake and whatever else infested waters. My mom said this morning, "I let you do that?" Well, I can tell you mom that you weren't at work that day and I am sure you knew where we were. So today my moms advice to me was not the let my kids outside during the storm because they might get swept down the storm drain??? Has that ever happened? I have never heard of a kid getting swept down a storm drain. Something the ponder??? Anyway...we are good and staying put annd hope for the best.

3 comments:

rusted sun said...

I can't read your blog because half of the words float onto the left of the screen where they are the same color as the background. Am I the only one who has this problem?

I want to hear all about what is going on on the days I don't talk with you. :)
-Alisa

Michelle said...

You remember Hurricane Alicia?? I remember sleeping though it and then waking up to a MESS!! Do you remember when Dad drove us around the bayou in his blue truck and the water was up to the windows. I hope that you all will be safe and that the kids do well. We love you

Anonymous said...

Why do kids only remember the dumb things their parents do? Dad siad a little kids was wshed down a strom drain during Gustov. So see it can happen. Weipn are so glad every one is ok and really enjoyed the pictures.