Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Piano-before

This is our new piano...well, new to us. I wish I was better at before and after photos but I always seem too anxious to get started that I don't take the time to shoot pictures. It was a typical 1980's oak piano. It was in good shape but I wanted to paint it so it would flow with the rest of my house. I thought...black, cream, green or blue but since I don't play and Emma and Justin do their vote won out. Black. Here is a pic without the tip piece. I started taking it apart and discovered that all the front pieces either lift off or unscrew and ended up with the whole front bare with just the inside keys and mechanisms showing. I also ended up taking off the harp like piece down by the pedals, I thought it looked better without it.



It was very dusty so I took time to clean it and vacuum out the pianos crevices. I found some interesting things inside...most of the things didn't surprise me like a pencil, paperclip, pennies, whole punches and paper. But there were a few things that I thought were funny...a drill bit, hey, how did that get in there? And dry oatmeal??? As in not cooked, I can just see my in-laws a bit younger: one at the piano practicing and the other stirring a bowl of oats getting ready to cook it and spilling as they are looking over the shoulder of the other at the piano...anyway I thought it was funny.
I took each key out and cleaned it and vacuumed under it. Cleaned the dust off the felts and put it back together. It was so fun! I tried to talk Justin into getting a piano hammer to tune it ourselves but he declined and eventually I will call someone. We do have a sticky key I tried to fix but I think I need a new felt and I don't want to take it apart again and get felt and then have it still stick so when it is tuned then we will get the sticky key fixed.

After pictures...next post!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Samantha, it look beautiful. So glad would went with black. Looks really classy. Can't wait to see it in person at Christmas. Mom

Tom said...

PLs meet me in email

tomspillows@gmail.com

Thanks and regards.

Tom

www.lifespro.com said...

Great Post

Get A Premium Website For Your Business At lifespro.com
LIFESPRO | http://www.lifespro.com website designing | digital marketing , http://lifespro.com