Thursday, June 26, 2008

ITS DONE - FINALLY!

I picked up crocheting about 4 or 5 months ago. It was kind of a fluke really. I was bored, looking for something to do and I thought it would be cool to make something. I was surfing the web looking for something "cool" to make/do. It just so happened that I saw a video on You Tube of someone crocheting a hat/beanie, so I gave it a try.


I've crocheted a few small things, but with my sister and sister-in-law pregnant I thought it would be neat (cheesy) to build the babies something. My mom is a really great crocheter and she learned from my Grandma Hayes, who was really great at the knitting and crocheting. My mom made my two boys really beautiful blankets and I'm sure she's working on some for her soon-to-be grandkids. I'd like to think its in the blood, but as a man, I'd almost rather have my Grandpa's woodworking blood.
I found a book at Hobby Lobby with some pretty blanket patterns and with some encouragement from my wife, I have finally finished my first major project - a blanket for my sister-in-law labeled "Sweet Dreams".





This is really kind of sentimental since it's my first "real" project. My wife wants me to hold on to it and part of me doesn't want to let it go. It is far from perfect, but it feels great to be able to give something to someone you care for, especially when it's hand made and all the blood, sweat, and tears are poured into this thing.....okay, just the tears.

For my niece.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Thanks Justin. I am sure the Cora will love it, especially since we think that it is amazing as well. In my opinion, crocheting and carpentry go hand and hand and besides that--you have plenty of time to learn.